Monday, May 16, 2011

Court date

 Rodger almost-but-not-quite-Federer, and Evelyn, tournament champ.

Had fun helping to organize a mixed doubles tennis tournament.  Tim and I both played, but neither as partners nor opponents.  This is a good sign that Tim has pretty much recovered from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which debilitated him for months.
Tim
Good weather held for the morning event and the evening potluck party in Gail's lovely back yard. But, while other parts of the country have had more than enough water, we need rain. Recent passing showers didn't provide growing things with the good soaking they need.  Weeds come up with only dust around their scrawny roots.  However, we have tomatoes on the two vines, and the zinnias, moon flowers, poppies, and cosmos I started from seed are sprouting. The unintimidated rabbits that hop by nearly every morning don't seem to be too interested in our garden. But, some creature did chomp off a couple of stems of marigolds in the front--and left them there without chewing them up.  Oddly, this happened to a certain few plants in certain spots, and then again after I replaced the amputated plants--but their surrounding marigold sisters remain unscathed.  Funny.

Finished Franzen's "Freedom" and saw "The Social Network," so I'm up to date on U.S. popular culture.  Now reading the harrowing "The Book Thief" for the Newcomers Club book group.

No comments:

Post a Comment