Sunday, October 4, 2009
Rocking Chair Red and spinach bread
I submitted my retirement notice to The State this week, so it's official. Yesterday Tim and I had our last party at Shadowbrook. We shared our homemade wine, "Rocking Chair Red," a rather feeble malbec, with friends and family. Under the tutelage of Angelo Mazza, who was also our wine-making guru, all afternoon I made spinach bread, a concoction of pizza dough; spinach, olive oil, and garlic; pepperoni, fontinella cheese; and mozzarella cheese -- baked. Not a Weight Watchers recommendation, but delicious. The night before, I'd made Tuscan bean soup. We loved having everyone here, to see our different "worlds colliding," as Jerry Seinfeld would put it: Maloneys, Haars, Nagles and Petersens, Karen, Jason, Fittsy, Freemans, Brunelles, M.J., Civellos, Maxine, Bob Z., Angelo and Cheryl, Susan and Steve, Lenfests. On Sunday, back to work throwing away stuff and packing stuff: "what to keep, and what to let go." We will be in our little apartment in about 2 weeks, so with the party over, downsizing is in earnest. I visit New Bern this weekend, while Tim's golfing with The Boys on the Cape. M.J. will be my Mum Fest Guest. She is equipped with new waterproof gear -- as if readied for safari -- for kayaking. I have an appointment with Jennifer from Knightscapes, to talk about landscaping. And I need to get the truck inspected. I'm excited to see the creek, the new shades that were installed in our absence, and the town decked out for its autumn celebration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had a lovely time at the wine tasting, and lots of fun down in NC. I highly recommend New Bern to all Jeanne and Tim's mates. Make your reservations for their guestroom now!
ReplyDelete