But, we appreciated connecting to history through artifacts, especially at the Museum of the Confederacy--and re-connecting with our good, and interesting, friends.
We returned to the Creek to find that the dock alterations we've been waiting for were completed, so we can put our boat in the water at last!
In addition, two goslings appeared with the pair of Canada geese that've been hanging out in our back yard. Yeah, yeah, these creatures can be a nuisance, but since our neighbor seemed to have stopped feeding an entire flock, we have just these two and their offspring. It's entertaining. The fuzzy little babies graze constantly. They look like miniature camels somehow, scuttlling around with their heads bobbing in the grass, overseen by vigilant parents. I can't really zoom in with my own camera, but you can get the idea from someone else's picture.
Looking out the window just now, I saw the goose family, a bright green anole lizard on the railing, and a bird taking food to the purple martin house that we inherited. We've never noticed inhabitants before--it may not be appropriately high enough off the ground--and we'd talked about getting rid of it. But now looks like we'll be collecting rent!
Yesterday at dusk, I had to zap wasps that were building nests by our front and back doors. I sort of feel bad about it--the wasps have as much right to nest around here as the geese--but I don't want anyone stung. Maggie's killed two of the splendid little green lizards this spring, and we dump poison on fire ant nests when they appear in the yard.
But this afternoon, a peaceable kingdom at Brices Creek.
No comments:
Post a Comment