Saturday, February 6, 2010

Welcome

Sandie the welcome wagon lady visited us.  We got some gift certificates for discounts to restaurants, a carpet store, and salons; a free medicine spoon, toothbrush, and jar lid gripper; and newsletters from the arts council and parks and recreation. We were also invited to the Newcomers Club meeting next week.  The Twin Rivers Shag Club --no affiliation with Austin Powers -- will be giving a demonstration.   There is a wine tasting sub-group of the Newcomers, in addition to groups for various crafts, mahjong, boating, etc. 

Do you think there will be bus trips to Bruce Springsteen concerts in Jersey?

We heard a rumor from Sandie that the attractive yet empty-since-constructed restaurant property on the Neuse is under contract. Hope to enjoy a Yuengling Light and a river breeze on its deck some hot day--if not this July, then maybe September....

This morning, went to the Farmers Market.  Got a sweet potato muffin from Miss Sarah, some dried Thai peppers from 'R Garden, and a bottle of award-winning, hand-crafted barbecue sauce. You can put it on butter pecan ice cream, the man said.

Welcome to Eastern North Carolina.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see your total immersion in the activities of the flat hills of your new homeland. For how long do you retain "newcomer" status before they kick you out of the Newcomers Club? I hope you check out the Twin Rivers Shag Club. When you join Netflix, Shag should be one of your first rentals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually bought "Shag," as homework, in New England. You can be a "newcomer" for 3 years. I was among the Newcomers who, after the dance demo, got up for a brief informal instruction session. If you can hula hoop, well then, dammit, I can shag. I also got a honey vanilla pound cake at the cake auction for charity. And signed up for the wine tasting at someone's house, at the end of the month. We'll see......

    ReplyDelete